The office protects the public from contracting animal diseases. It is also tasked to regulate domestic animals, improving quality of livestock and domesticated animals, monitoring the operation of slaughterhouses and locally registered dressing plants and to protect public health by ensuring that commercial meat and meat products are fit for human consumption. The office is also tasked to monitor events and situations involving veterinary matters.
- Formulate measures for the consideration of the Sangguniang Panglungsod and provide technical assistance and support to the City Mayor in carrying out measures to ensure the delivery of basic services and provision of adequate facilities.
- Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the City Mayor implement the same, particularly those which have to do with the veterinary-related activities which the City Mayor is empowered to implement and which the Sangguniang Panlungsod is empowered to provide for under the Local Government Code of 1991.
- Advise the City Mayor on all matters pertaining to the slaughter of animals for human consumption and regulation of slaughterhouses.
- Regulate the keeping of domestic animals.
- Regulate and inspect poultry, milk and dairy products for public consumption.
- Enforce all laws and regulations for the prevention of cruelty to animals.
- Take the necessary measures to eradicate, prevent or cure all forms of animal diseases.
- Be in the frontline of veterinary related activities, such as in the outbreak of highly-contagious and deadly diseases, and in situations resulting in the depletion of animals for work and for human consumption, particularly those arising from and in the aftermath of man-made and natural disasters and calamities.
- Recommend to the Sangguniang Panlungsod and advise the City Mayor on all other matters relative to veterinary services which will increase the number and improve the quality of livestock, poultry and other domestic animals used for work or for human consumption.
- Perform such other duties and functions and exercise such other powers as provided for under the Local Government Code of 1991, and those that are prescribed by law or ordinance.
FRONTLINE SERVICES OFFERED
- Request for Mass Rabies Vaccination and Animal Registration
- Provide Animal Vaccination (Walk-in Clientele)
- Provide Animal Consultation / Treatment
- Animal Impounding Operation
- Claiming of Impounded Animals
- Provide Animal Deworming
- Provide Breeding Support Services