Imus used to be a “visita” of Cavite Viejo, is one of the oldest administrative units of Cavite. Cavite Viejo was under the administration of the Jesuits until 1686 when the Recollects took over Imus. Efforts were then directed in seeking emancipation from the ecclesiastical and civil administration of Cavite Viejo, until Imus was completely liberated.
The ecclesiastical land that tied Imus to Cavite Viejo since the early part of the 17th century was covered by the Royal Order of October 30, 1776. This Royal Decree was considered as the first step in the creation of the Municipality of Imus.
The Recollects, not contented with the religious emancipation of Imus from Cavite Viejo, sought its eventual political separation. Imus finally became an independent municipality in 1795.
A bill was filed by Congressman Joseph Abaya with co-authors Congressman Pidi Barzaga and Crispin Remulla creating the Municipality of Imus as a lone legislative district. The bill was supported by Senator Panfilo Lacson, Senator Richard Gordon and Senator Bong Revilla. On October 22, 2009, Republic Act 9727 creating the lone district of Imus as the “Third District of Cavite,” was approved by the President of the Philippines.
On August 3, 2010, Congressman Erineo Maliksi filed House Bill no. 01989, creating the City of Imus. The bill was enacted into law as Republic Act No. 10161. Through a plebiscite conducted last June 30, 2012, RA 10161 was then ratified by 22,742 registered voters of Imus and converted the municipality into a first class component city to be known as the City of Imus.